dhool

dhool
Click on the above image and Join the discussion in our Facebook group

Friday, December 22, 2017

மலர்ந்தும் மலராதவை # 11

Saravanan Natarajan writes:
மலர்ந்தும் மலராதவை # 11

இனிய காதல் நினைவு....

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
the dark unfathom’d caves of ocean bear;
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
and waste its sweetness on the desert air.

- Thomas Gray (Elegy in a Country Churchyard)

In this chapter from the series of songs from movies that never reached the cinema halls, I bring to you a jewel crafted by a musician duo who are often maligned for their mediocrity. Yet, there are fleeting instances such as this- occasions where they stirred out of their self-imposed limitations and ushered in music of the highest order.

I heard the song one lazy afternoon as a child in தமிழ்ச்சேவை இரண்டு, and it was love at first listen. Unfortunately, it proved to be my last listen as well… at least for a great many years. It was on my wish list for ever so long, I searched for it everywhere, yet the song remained maddeningly elusive. So much so that I started doubting if I had heard the beginning lines right, or got the movie’s name wrong. I would not give up, though, for the magic cast that unforgettable afternoon was still intact. Imagine my rapture when a Srilankan friend got the song for me finally! I am not ashamed to reveal that my eyes were moist when I listened to it again after so many years.

There are some songs that stir up something inexplicable deep inside, and for me, this song does exactly that. I am a novice in classical music, and cannot comment much on the nuances of the composition. I leave the analytical appreciation to you. But I can state with authority that this is among the finest efforts of Shankar-Ganesh; for to have envisaged and summoned to life such enchantment is surely no mean achievement. The honeyed Jayachandran is in his elements here, and as for the blessed, blithe Janaki… little would the unpretentious nightingale ever be aware of the joys that she has brought to generations of listeners…

* * * * * *

It was during my visit to Chennai in December 2012 that thanks to the efforts of good friend
Kumaraswamy Sundar, I could meet (Shankar) Ganesh at his house for a long, leisurely conversation. As we recalled one gem after another composed by the duo, Ganesh was filled with almost a child-like exuberance. Within the garish adornments and close-fitting outfit, I could perceive an endearing naivety and a sensitive vulnerability. He could recall many of the tunes and sang them, cheerfully unapologetic about his off-key tone, drumming dexterously with his gloved fingers on the table….I expressed my admiration for their bringing back from oblivion the great singers of yore- A.M. Raja, PBS, Tiruchi Loganathan, S.C. Krishnan, Seergazhi Govindarajan, C.S. Jayaraman, Bhanumathi, Jikki, Jamunarani to sing for them...When I mentioned my favourite (Radha) Jayalakshmi’s ‘அகிலமெல்லாம் விளங்கும் அம்மனருள்’, his eyes lit up with joyous remembrance…

We progressed to recalling songs from the 80s, and when I reminded Ganesh ji of this forgotten number ‘இனிய காதல் நினைவு’ from an unreleased movie, I was truly taken aback when he hugged me with excitement and planted a wet kiss on my cheek :)

* * * * * *

Have a listen, revel in this rhapsody…

Song: iniya kaathal ninaivu
Film: 18 mudhal 22 varai (Unreleased)
Vocals: P. Jayachandran & S. Janaki
Lyrics: Muthulingam
Music: Shankar- Ganesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACjetBCTqAA&feature=youtu.be

Discussion at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018417744856618/permalink/1827261590638892/

No comments:

Post a Comment