dhool

dhool
Click on the above image and Join the discussion in our Facebook group

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

KANNAN KOVIL PARAVAI IDHU - AKKA

Saravanan Natarajan writes:

கண்ண(தாச)ன் கோயில் பறவையிது...

It is the birthday today of the dulcet diva. When I called her to wish her this morning, I just played the opening lines of her own 'ஆயிரம் ஆண்டுகள் ஆயிரம் பிறவிகள் பூமியில் பிறந்திட வேண்டுகிறேன்..'. Vani ji sounded moved and happy “So kind of you, Saravanan!” she exclaimed, filling me with a pleasurable thrill, for I had not spoken a word until then! “I know it is you” was her simple explanation when I asked her how she guessed who the caller was, for I had called her old-fashioned land-line and she had no way of noticing the number. I was at a loss for words, and as if to ease the silence, she went on to enquire pleasantly about the well-being of my family, mentioning my wife and son by name. I could hear her cell phone ringing and even as I tried to end our conversation with my wishes and prayers, she continued unhurriedly talking to me, conveying her blessings and thanks. Blessed I am, truly!

It is my pleasure to celebrate this joyous occasion by posting a song that has remained close to my heart ever since the first listen decades ago- Thanks to Radio Ceylon, an ennui filled afternoon transformed to sheer enchantment as I listened transfixed to Vani ji’s soulful soiree...

The first time I met Vani ji at her home, I started off by referring to Kannadasan’s singular tribute to her in his ‘சந்தித்தேன் சிந்தித்தேன் ’ (originally serialized in குமுதம் as ‘இந்த வாரம் சந்தித்தேன்’). She folded her palms in salutation to the greatest bard of our times. ‘That write-up gave me a honor that even a Bharat Ratna cannot equal’ she commented. As memories seem to rush in, she continued musingly, ‘Kannadasan Sir has worked with generations of singers…great singers who have done justice to his lyrics over the decades, yet to think that he chose to single me out for that rare honor, of being the only singer he devoted an episode to, I’m overwhelmed!’ she said humbly, her eyes moist with emotion.

‘That morning, when the Kumudam issue containing his write-up on me hit the stands, he called me up at 6 and said ‘வாணி, உன்ன பத்தி என் மனசில தோன்றதெல்லாம் எழுதி இருக்கேன். படிச்சு பாரு', she recollected with a smile. She went on to share with us some special memories of Kannadasan. “He looked upon me as a member of his family. Once when he was celebrating his birthday with only his family members, he took Jairam ji and me along with his family to Madurai, and we were fortunate to be with them during the special pooja at Meenakshi Amman temple, and share some intimate moments with his family’

Vaniji and Jairamji seemed to be lost in memories of the Kaviyarasar and the special relationship they shared with him- After a pause, Vani ji continued ‘Again, another time, when he was contributing to some Annadaanam scheme, he called me and affectionately demanded ‘வாணி, நீயும் உன் பங்குக்கு ரெண்டு மூட்டை அரிசி கொடு ’- that was how close he was to us.’
‘A great man. His simplicity, goodness of heart, limitless creativity and humility are qualities that set him apart. I am privileged to have sung so many of his songs, and blessed to have received his good wishes and fatherly affection in abundance’ she said feelingly.

‘I am happy that Kannadasan Sir’s family still continues to shower affection on us. Even last week I had been to Kannadasan Pathippagam –Sir’s son gifted me a book titled ‘கண்ணன் கோயில் பறவை...'

I couldn’t resist interrupting her flow of thought and said excitedly ‘That’s one of my favorite songs!’ Vani ji smiled indulgently, and….did what I was waiting for with bated breath….she sang the pallavi, and the first charanam of that spellbinding classic. Oh, the ageless allure! Her voice, as sweet as ever, took us briefly to another world, another time, when giants like Kannadasan, MSV & Vani Jairam were making magic with Tamil film music….
* * * * *

‘Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
And waste its sweetness on the desert air’

I can never, never understand why this magnificent composition did not hit the popularity charts.
The movie அக்கா (1976) had K.R. Vijaya in the title role, with Jaiganesh, Vijayakumar and a debutant Vijayabala (who was never heard of since) as her co-actors. The புன்னகை அரசி essayed the role of a vocalist Kamala. Her love for her younger sister and the villainous machinations of her husband formed the crux of the narrative.

The movie opens with a series of mysterious events. Vijaya makes her appearance well into the proceedings as part of the flash back narrated by her sister, and this is the song where we are introduced to the acclaimed vocalist Kamala…

கண்ணன் கோயில் பறவை இது
கருணை மன்னன் தீபம் இது
அண்ணல் கடலின் ஓடமிது
அதுதான் இப்போது பாடுவது...

What a virtuoso performance!! இதில் கண்ணன் கோயில் பறவை யார்- கிருஷ்ணகானம் படைத்த கவியரசரா, அதற்க்கு மெட்டமைத்த மெல்லிசை மன்னரா, இவ்விருவரின் கூடத்தில் அகல்விளக்காய் ஜொலிக்கும் வாணியா....அல்லது மூவருமா? I used to wonder at Vani’s exclusion from the immortal MSV- Kannadasan collaboration ‘Krishna Ganam’, released the same year, wherein all the popular singers of the time found place. I get the answer every time I listen to கண்ணன் கோயில் பறவை இது...perhaps MSV and Kannadasan felt this song equaled if not surpassed that album! The rendition is punctuated by spellbinding and swift Swara sojourns (particularly towards the end) and amazing alaapanais. The brughas are reminiscent of the great S. Varalakshmi in her prime. Also mention must be made of the subtle variations in each repetition of the refrain 'அதுதான் இப்போது பாடுவது'. A wonderful ragamalika, which MSV had masterfully woven in Hamsadhwani, Charukesi, Aarabhi, Dhanyasi, Behaag….

Many may recognise the similarity in structure, which this song shares with the pathos filled தேவியின் கோயில் பறவை இது - (Janaki), from அவளுக்கென்று ஒரு மனம் . Both songs are by Kannadasan and tuned by MSV. While the line ‘அது தான் இப்போது பாடுவது’ recurs at the end of each verse in this song, the corresponding last line in தேவியின் கோயில் is 'கண்ணீர் எழுதும் கவிதை இது'. And most lines end with 'இது' in both songs. However, while தேவியின் கோயில் is an emotional cascade, கண்ணன் கோயில் is a classic, soulful Krishnaganam, which Kannadasan created with poetic lyrics in ode to his favorite God.

I leave you with this song and with Kannadasan’s eloquent tribute to his Vani in his சந்தித்தேன் சிந்தித்தேன் – “முறையான சங்கீதப்பயிற்சி உள்ளதால் எளிய கர்நாடகத்தில் வாணியின் குரல் ஒலிக்கும் போது அதன் சுகமே அலாதி. ஏழு சுரங்களில் பாடலை நான் எங்கே கேட்டாலும் என்னை மெய்மறக்கச் செய்து நிற்கவைக்கிறது. பானுமதி, வரலக்ஷ்மி, சூரியகுமாரி போல் வாணியின் குரலும் தனித்தன்மை வாய்ந்தது. அவர் குரலில் ஒரு குடும்ப சுகம் இருக்கிறது. எல்லா பாஷைகளிலும் அவற்றினுடைய த்வனி தவறாமல் உச்சரிக்கும் வல்லமை பெற்ற வாணி ஒரு ஆயுட்கால பாடகியே. பெயர் பொருத்தம் பலருக்கு அமையாது- வாணிக்கு அமைந்திருக்கிறது. வாணி உண்மையிலேயே ஒரு கலைவாணி தான்!"

To add anything to that would be sheer arrogance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWDq7GbOp0


https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018417744856618/permalink/1403282769703445/

No comments:

Post a Comment