dhool

dhool
Click on the above image and Join the discussion in our Facebook group

Friday, June 10, 2016

Chinna Penn Aana Podhile - Aaravalli 1957

Sridhar Trafco writes:

Que Sera, Sera… (சின்னப்  பெண்ணான போதிலே

அன்னையிடம் நான் ஒரு நாளிலே...)

Venice… a city in its entirety built on archipelago of more than 100 islands in a beautiful shallow lagoon separated by canals and bridges.

Also known as city of water/floating city.. venice has beautiful cityscape known for its uniqueness,rich musical and artistic cultural heritage..

Walking alongside the long canal with more than 200 public water taxis(boats) and gondola boats, we cherished every moment enjoying the beauty of the city with thousands of tourists around …while the day witnessed lucrative commercial attractions like boat-ride and crowded eateries with Italian delicacies and wines, the evenings were colourful feast to our eyes with musical events and bands on the roads or just outside the ‘ristorantis’, taverns and inns.

What caught my attention in the evening was a begger on the roadside , with his accordion playing the Italian/Spanish song ‘Que Sera Sera’, a beautiful number sung by Doris Day in Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘The man who knew too much’ and this song bagged academy award in 1956.

Here is the link...
https://youtu.be/xZbKHDPPrrc

The same tune was adapted by G.Ramanathan in tamil for his film ‘Aaravalli’ in 1957 rendered by AM.Raja and Jikki with beautiful lyrics by Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram.

The highlight of this signature song is, AM Raja sings only the last line while Jikki reigns and holds the sway…and believe me..the song was done in one take.

First see the English lyrics:

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.
When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.
Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome, will I be rich
I tell them tenderly.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

And see Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram’s lyrics:



சின்னப்  பெண்ணான போதிலே
அன்னையிடம் நான் ஒரு நாளிலே...
எண்ணம் போல் வாழ்வு ஈடேறுமா
அம்மா நீ சொல் என்றேன்
வெண்ணிலா.. நிலா
என் கண்ணல்லவா கலா
உன் எண்ணம் போல் வாழ்விலே
இன்பம் தான் என்றாள்

வெண்ணிலா.. நிலா
கன்னி என் ஆசை காதலே
கண்டேன் மணாளன் நேரிலே
என் ஆசை காதல் இன்பம் உண்டோ
தோழி நீ சொல் என்றேன்…. (வெண்ணிலா.. நிலா)
கண் ஜாடை பேசும் வெண்ணிலா
கண்ணாளன் எங்கே சொல் நிலா..
என் கண்கள் தேடும் உண்மைதானே
சொல் நிலவே என்றேன்.. (வெண்ணிலா.. நிலா)
கடைசியில் AMRaja: வெண்ணிலா.. நிலா

While the English version believed ‘the future was not ours to see’ ( whatever will be.. will be..), Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram was very positive (உன் எண்ணம் போல் வாழ்விலே இன்பம் தான் ) from the time we returned to Bahrain a couple of days ago, this song has been lingering in my nerves with the ever-loving voice of jikky... Now listen to the songs and enjoy ( both tamil and english)

 - Seethapathy Sridhar (2013)

Discussion at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018417744856618/permalink/1247285575303166/

No comments:

Post a Comment