dhool

dhool
Click on the above image and Join the discussion in our Facebook group

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Kanney konjam paaru - Chellappenn





Kumaraswamy Sundar writes:

KANNEY KONJAM PAARU….

There was an insertion in The Hindu dt 2nd Sept 2007 in the Obituary column-
“ B A Chidambaranathan (83), Music Director, died on 30/08/2007, Ph:xxxxxxxx”

The news made me very sad that one more from the golden oldie tfm fraternity was no more. I knew only one film “Chellappenn”(1969) done by him where I always enjoy the song “Kanney konjam paaru kaniyaa kaayaa kooru “ sung by TMS/LRE beautifully…particularly the charanam starting with TMS…”alankaara chilaiye nee asaindhaadi vaa vaa” and also for the quirky interludes in the song. I did not remember any other song from the film. For this one song I always held BAC in high esteem. But I have listened many number of devotionals done by him frequently aired in Vividh Bharati.

Listen to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2dYAynmuLg

Now coming to the point, with the phone number given in the insertion above, I was curious to call and check BAC family whether he did any other tamil film. It was 10.30p.m when I read about this. I had some hesitation in calling a member of a bereaved family that too within two days of death. But several times in the past whenever I wanted to talk to such persons on the death of the person known to us, this hesitation created a big gap and finally forgot to talk to them as days passed. But this time I just called that number the same night and when I started “ Is this BAC’s family..? “, … from the other side… “yes, I am his son Rajamani speaking..”. There was no trace of any grief in his voice and was very normal and asked me to continue. When I introduced myself as a tfm enthusiast and asked him about any other BAC film, he said that was the only tamil film he did. He was very forthcoming and was talking to me for more than half-an-hour even in that late hours.

Excerpts from the conversation with Mr C Rajamani here:

“ B A Chidambaranathan belongs to Kanyakumari district and was trained in Carnatic music by Kumbakonam Rajamanickam . Took to film music at a very early age of 17 and has done more than 100 films in Malayalam. No one gave him big recognition in tfm and so did not do much. Composed several devotional albums in tamil with KJY, KSC, Ambhujam(?) , to name a few.

I have assisted my father in several films and have done nearly 698 films (!) including films in Tulu, Bhojpuri. I only did the background score for films done by Maragadhamani in tamil like Vaanamey ellai, Jaathimalli, Paasavalai and Devaragam(…….!) (wait for another bombshell)… I and Maragadhamani both together did two films in tamil Graamathu Kiligal (1983) and Kalloori Kanavugal (1988) with the name Mani-Raja (idhu eppadi irukku?).That both films bombed I am not responsible. (Tiruchendurai Ramamurthy Shankar, are you listening?)

Listen here:Kannippenn kannathin kaayangaley from 'Graamathu Kiligal' :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXzXWWWKl4

IR had played organ to my father for some films and ARR’s father Sekhar had also assisted my father in several films. Dilip (ARR) was doing his ninth standard then and the family was in very difficult times.

Those days we were paid only 200/- per call sheet and now my son Arun Rajamani is a keyboard player and earns 10000/- per call sheet. Times have changed. I have advised my son not to listen to present day songs while driving a car lest he would even die but listen to classical music or simply Om, Om Omkaaram. “.

Mr Rajamani was fluent in both Tamil and English without a trace of Malayalam. He stays in Ramapuram and he gave me his address. He invited me to his house for a detailed talk (once again?) one day.

Very sad, I heard Rajamani also died on 14th Feb 2016.

ACHU RAJAMANI

Rajamani’s son Achu Rajamani (not sure he is the same Arun Rajamani) has composed for some films now : Maalaippozhudhin mayakkathiley (2012), Summa nachchunu irukku (2013) and Urumeen (2015).

Here is wishing Achu Rajamani big success in films considering his age and lineage.

https://www.facebook.com/kumaraswamy.sundar/posts/1026545484065237

No comments:

Post a Comment